I wrote this post a few weeks ago, but then the event was postponed. It’s been waiting in draft mode for me to ‘publish’ when the event happens, but since today is International Women’s Day, I wanted to share it today even though the event still has not been rescheduled yet (I’ll share again when it is). It’s not okay that this is happening to these girls and women, and I’m thankful that I can do something about it! -Hayley xx
* * * * * * * * * * * *
This Thankful Thursday post may seem strange, but I have very good reason to be thankful. This Sunday my husband is being “arrested” – held hostage – “Arrested for a Cause”. He’s not been “arrested” because he’s done anything wrong, nor by the police, but being held hostage until he can phone his friends/family and raise a set amount of bail. Why? I’m glad you asked.
Did you know that everyday there are more than 3000 girls are being forced, sold or lured into the sex trade?! Forced to have sex with sometimes over 10 different partners a day! One CHILD every 26 seconds! My husband, myself and many of our friends strongly believe this is not okay!
How would you feel if this was YOUR daughter? I don’t have any daughters, but when I think of this happening to the little girls I know or any girls their age it makes me feel sick.
How do these girls end up there? These girls get lured into the brothels through false promises after being targeted because of their family’s vulnerability, or turn to prositution out of desperation to support their families. Daughters work in brothels to pay off debts loaned to their parents during hard times.
My husband and I strongly believe in the organisation Destiny Rescue who are involved in both the PREVENTION of girls being sold into sex slavery (forced prostitution) and the RESCUE of girls already held hostage within the trade. As it states on their website, Destiny Rescue (based in Australia) works in Thailand, Cambodia, Mozambique & India and…
“…Rescues children directly from brothels and red light districts
…Protects vulnerable children through prostitution prevention programs
…Provides schooling, vocational training, medical help, counseling, all daily needs
…Have dozens of safe homes in 5 nations with thousands of children now living safely”
So this Sunday, we won’t be spending the afternoon as a family. My husband will be “arrested” and held hostage with a bunch of others, making phonecall after phonecall, trying to raise enough “bail” to get released. This money goes directly back into the preventative programs, physically rescuing the girls and also into teaching them a vocation so they can support themselves financially.
I am SO thankful for Destiny Rescue!
I am thankful that… THESE GIRLS ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!
I am thankful that… THESE GIRLS ARE BEING RESCUED!
I am thankful that… THESE GIRLS ARE BEING LOVED!
I am thankful that… THESE GIRLS ARE BEING TAUGHT A WAY TO MAKE A LIVING!
I am thankful that… THERE IS SOMETHING I CAN DO TO HELP THESE GIRLS !!!!!!!!!!!
If you’re thinking “wow, what can I do?”… then the answer is – there are so many ways to get involved!
1. Pray! Pray that these girls would be prevented from going into slavery, and that the girls in slavery would be rescued.
2. Spread the Word! It takes 2 minutes to share this with your friends so that they are aware of the problem and will be moved to help too! You can also follow Destiny Rescue (&share) on facebook.
3. Donate! You can make a one-off or regular donation online to help fund the prevention programs and rescues of these princesses.
4. Buy the Jewellery these girls make! You can do this online or by hosting a Jewellery Party (another great way to tell all your friends how they too can help rescue girls!) I’ve personally bought this jewellery as gifts for friends and family for their birthdays/Christmas – I can support these girls livelihood with money I was going to spend anyway!
5. Checkout their website for even more information and more ways you can get involved!
Image Credit & Information Source: Destiny Rescue Australia
Handcuffs Image credit: Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos